Your Allies Throughout Your Recovery

What you should know about the dangers playgrounds pose

On Behalf of | Apr 19, 2021 | Premises Liability

Playgrounds are a place where children can laugh and play together — but they’re also fraught with danger. Data published by the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors captures how emergency room doctors see at least 200,000 children who suffer playground injuries each year. 

There are some trends as to who and how children end up getting hurt on playgrounds. As a parent, you may want to study those so that you’ll know to pay extra close attention to your child while on a playground. 

Which kids are most vulnerable to suffering playground injuries?

There’s almost a 50-50 split regarding whether girls or boys are most apt to suffer playground injuries. Boys have a 45% chance of doing so, whereas the risk girls face is 55%. Kids ages 5 to 9 are most vulnerable to suffering physical trauma on a playground.

Which are some of the most dangerous pieces of playground equipment?

The majority of playground injury accidents occur on swings or climbing apparatuses, such as ladders. Falls often result from kids’ use of either of these two pieces of playground equipment, resulting in fractures, bruises, cuts and other injuries. Data published by the University of Minnesota’s Amplatz Children’s Hospital shows that playground equipment like trampolines, exercise rings and monkey bars are seldom safe.

Poor maintenance can also render playground equipment even more unsafe. Many cities or counties that operate parks tend to allocate minimal funds to maintain them. This is especially the case in low-income areas. It’s not uncommon for parkgoers to encounter broken or rusty equipment at these parks. The existence of broken glass, sharp objects, trash is common as well. 

Poorly maintained asphalt may make parkgoers more likely to trip, resulting in significant injuries, and improper spacing between equipment may leave a child vulnerable to getting struck by another person or piece of playground equipment. 

What can you do if your child suffered injuries at a playground?

Parents often expect park owners to regularly check their premises and equipment to ensure that they’re safe. This usually doesn’t happen, though. Ohio law may allow you to hold your local government agency liable for their negligence. An attorney can advise you of the statute of limitations and notification requirements that may apply in your case should you decide to sue.