Your Allies Throughout Your Recovery

A car accident could leave your child with life-long disabilities

On Behalf of | Aug 3, 2021 | Car Accidents

As a parent, how often do you think about the safety of your child? Odds are that your answer is something along the lines of “all the time” or “constantly.” It’s natural to worry about your child’s safety and do everything you can to protect them.

This is something you especially need to think about when you get in the car. Remember, traffic accidents are the leading cause of death for most children and even young adults. Older adults face higher risks from things like cancer and heart disease, which are tied to age and take time to develop, but accidents are exceedingly problematic for young people.

If you get involved in an accident, even if you and your child both survive the crash, your child could be left with disabilities that change their life — and yours.

You may become a caregiver for life

If your child has a serious physical or mental disability after the crash, they may well need care for life. Many of these issues do not fully heal. Brain injuries and spinal cord injuries are notorious for this. While young people typically heal better and faster than older adults, there’s no guarantee that the full scope of the issues will ever be eliminated.

Generally, parents and family members become caregivers for those with disabilities. If your child needs help with everything, from taking a shower to preparing a meal, you may not be able to have a career. You may have to settle into that parental mindset not just until your child is 18, but forever.

What would that mean for you?

This isn’t intended to simply increase the amount of worry you have, but to help you think deeply about the big-picture ramifications. How would life change? What are the real costs? They extend far, far beyond the medical bills you need to pay immediately after the crash. An accident that takes just a few seconds could change your life for decades.

If this happens, you need to know what rights you have to seek compensation for all of the associated costs.